HPB Surgical Oncology Fellowship Matched Positions
The HPB Surgical Oncology Fellowship is offered to one individual each year. The Fellowship begins in August each year and applications open in December – January of the preceding year.
The eligibility requirements are:
- Individuals who are eligible to take, or have passed the written and oral examinations in General Surgery of the Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons of Canada and/or The American Board of Surgery
- Individuals with equivalent qualifications from countries other than Canada or the U.S.A. will also be considered
- The University of Toronto requires that applicants from non-English or French-speaking countries pass the TOEFL examinations before beginning a Fellowship
- International applicants must be eligible for an Educational License from the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO – https://www.cpso,on.ca/Physicians/Registration/Requirements)
Our HPB Fellowship is highly competitive. Two important considerations in our evaluation criteria are:
- Evidence of excellent clinical and surgical skills, as assessed through letters of reference and/or performance during a clinical elective in HPB Surgery and/or Transplantation at the Toronto General Hospital.
- The academic potential of the candidate, as evidenced by his/her advanced degrees held, grants captured, and peer-reviewed publication record as well as references and when applicable, the offer of an academic position upon completion of the Fellowship.
Entry into the HPB Fellowship is through the yearly match of applicants to the AHPBA-accredited HPB Fellowships. Our HPB Fellowship Program participates in the North American match which is conducted by the Fellowship Council. Please note that as the SFMatch and the Fellowship Council match are concurrent (and the match is binding), applicants cannot apply to both Fellowships at the same time,
|Applications Open||Dec. 1, 2020|
|Applications Close and Letters of Recommendation Deadline||Feb. 9, 2021|
|Interview Offers||March 12, 2021|
|Rank Order List Entry Opens||May 3, 2021|
|Rank Order List Certification Deadline||May 20, 2021|
|Match Day||June 10, 2021|
We offer 1 AHPBA-accredited position each year and we interview 6 – 8 applicants. To be considered for an interview, you must register with the Fellowship Council. We also recommend that you visit the Fellowship Council site for the details of the match.
The applications for the HPB Surgical Oncology Fellowship are handled exclusively through the Fellowship Council on-line application process. You may submit your CV, letters of reference, and a covering letter in your application and indicate “HPB FELLOWSHIP AT THE TORONTO GENERAL HOSPITAL” as one of your application sites. Further information regarding our Fellowship or questions may be directed to our Fellowship Coordinator:
Ms. Nadia Auciello
Toronto General Hospital
585 University Avenue
Or you may email them to TorontoHPBFellowship@UHN.ca
We also recommend that you visit the AHPBA website for a description of all the other Fellowships in North America.
In addition to the 2 Fellows matched to the Transplant Fellowship (through the SFMatch) and to the 1 Fellow matched to the HPB Fellowship (through the Fellowship Council) each year we offer fellowship positions in Transplantation and/or HPB surgery to 1 or 2 additional non-matched Fellows each year. The rational for this is to accommodate the very large volume of transplantation (donor and recipient procedures) and HPB Surgery performed by the 10 staff Transplant & HPB Surgeons, and to facilitate sufficient “time off” to provide an optimal Fellowship experience. The non-matched Fellowship can be predominantly Transplant or HPB, depending on the successful candidates’ academic career path. All non-matched Fellowships are two years in length and Fellows are integrated as are the matched Fellows. Graduating Fellows will receive certification from the University of Toronto, but are not eligible for a certificate from either the AHPBA or the ASTS.
The next available non-matched position in HPB/Transplantation is anticipated to begin January 1, 2024; applications will open approximately one year in advance.
Once applications open, you may send your CV, references and a covering letter to:Ms. Nadia Auciello
Toronto General Hospital
585 University Avenue
Our HPB Surgical Oncology Fellowship is matched through the Fellowship Council. Please note that as the SFMatch and the Fellowship Council match are concurrent (and the match is binding), applicants cannot apply to both Fellowships at the same time.
I am a board-certified surgeon from outside North America. Can I apply?
I am from outside North America. Do I require the USMLE or ECFMG examinations?
No, in Canada neither USMLE nor ECFMEs are required. Your training will be assessed and must be approved by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO). For details see the CPSO’s Registration Applications and Forms page.
What licence will I require?
Upon acceptance to the Fellowship, you will need to obtain an Educational Licence from the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Ontario ( http://www.cpso.on.ca ) This is an extensive process that takes over 6 months.
Are there any Visa requirements?
Non-Canadians will require a VISA to enter, work, and study in Canada.